Monday, July 28, 2014

Chai Chia Pudding

My Marmie introduced me to Chia Seeds a couple years ago when she started creating smoothies for herself. Around the same time that my Marms shared this superfood with me one of the Personal Trainers at my gym also mentioned how amazing they were so I decided to do a bit more research on them and began to eat them.

Top 6 reasons why I think you should consider eating Chia Seeds:

1. Two tablespoons (1 ounce) of Chia seeds amount up to about 70 calories and approximately 35% of your daily fibre which help your body digest food which in turn results in less hunger spurts. Given that you won't feel excessively hungry after eating Chia and also due to the fact that they absorb a ton of water, they are known to assist with weight loss.

2. Fibre as mentioned in Reason #1. Fibre is good for your overall health but narrowing it down, it helps to keep your digestive tract in order, pushes weight loss and can help prevent heart disease. 

3. One serving of Chia Seeds has approximately 20% of the daily intake of Calcium which we all know is great for our teeth and bones.

4. Chia Seeds are packed full of Protein.

5. What is a fatty acid that our bodies cannot produce but is considered to be essential for our health and brain development? You guessed it - Omega-3. And what has almost 5 grams of Omega-3 in every two tablespoons? That's right, Chia Seeds are an excellent source of Omega-3 - Especially if you aren't a fish eater. 

6. Aztec Warriors considered Chia to be magical and used them as their main source of energy and to increase stamina by producing flour with them, extracting oil from them and drank them down with liquids. It is said that the Ancient Aztec's also used them for medicinal purposes. 

I'm not going to lie though, not many things gross me out but one time I put some Chia in my water and attempted to drink it. Half way through I had to throw it away because I was so disturbed by the sliminess. Don't let that discourage you though because there are so many other ways to incorporate them into your diet. My favourite way to eat them is in Chia Pudding which is much like tapioca pudding much on a much smaller scale. If you like the taste of Chai Latte's I think you should give this recipe a try.

Ingredients

1 cup of freshly brewed Chai Tea
1 cup of Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 cup of Chia Seeds
1 tbs of Vanilla Extract (organic if possible)

Stir well, place into a sealed container and leave over night in your fridge. In the morning you can add additional spices of Cinnamon and Nutmeg if you wish and either eat it cold or warmed up but I prefer my pudding cold.

This entire recipe contains approximately 370 calories however this amount is about 3 servings worth, resulting in each serving equalling to approximately 123 calories. 

Enjoy!!

xTx

No comments:

Post a Comment